A dental implant is a metal part that is used to replace a missing tooth. It is a traditional technique used to fill in for a tooth that may be missing due to an accident, disease, or a congenital abnormality. Implants in dentistry have become an integral part of dental practice nowadays.
A single or full mouth dental implant may be necessary according to individual needs. These replacements are not just for aesthetics reasons but form an important part in bringing out function and preserving natural structures. Dental implants are long-term solutions, requiring basic maintenance which offer comfort and function to the patients.
Table of Contents
- What are single dental implants?
- When do you need one?
- How does a Single Dental Implant Work?
- Significance of Single Dental Implants.
- Cost of Single Dental Implants in Delhi.
1. What are single dental implants?
Single dental implants are great alternatives to traditional dental bridges where there is only a single tooth missing. A titanium post is inserted into the jaw to replace the root of the tooth and covered with a crown. The types of dental implants include:
- Endosteal implants – Most commonly used today, these are titanium implants in the form of screws or cylinders that are inserted into the jaw bone to act as a root for the missing tooth.
- Subperiosteal implants- Metal implants are placed on the jaw bone and the metal portion is exposed through the gums.
Today, single dental implants are done in two ways:
- Delayed dental implant
- Immediate dental implant
A delayed dental implant is where the dentist has to wait for the area to completely heal after a tooth is removed before proceeding with the Dental Implant surgery. This may take a few months. If you are concerned about how much dental implants cost, it may vary slightly from case-to-case.
Immediate dental implants can be put in place right after a tooth loss. They have a great success rate and offer a comfortable patient experience. The restoration is done within 48 hours of the implant placement. Dental Implant Cost in Delhi is slightly variable and depends on various factors
2. When Do You Need One?
Dental implants are good choices if you :-
- Have lost a tooth to disease or struggling with ill-fitting dentures or bridgework. This may occur because of the difficulty to build bridges due to lack of enough natural tooth structure.
- Are interested in a long-standing and minimum maintenance requiring tooth replacement
- Want your replacement to be as close as possible to a normal tooth
- Want to preserve the integrity of adjacent natural teeth and their supporting jaw bone
- Are someone who wants to eat, bite, chew and speak well following a tooth loss
- Want to be free from the embarrassment of denture slippage in public
- Do not want a change in your facial features which invariably results due to the loss of a tooth and the subsequent supporting bone
3. How Does a Single Dental Implant Work?
Today, dental implants are the choice of treatment as far as prosthetic dental replacements are concerned.
- A single dental implant is a replacement that is placed inside the jaw bone in place of a missing tooth root.
- The choice of material used is titanium as it is very strong, highly resistant to reactions and does not decay.
- An implant that looks like a regular screw is fixed onto the jaw.
- Implant is then allowed to integrate with the bone which takes about four to six months.
- After the process is complete, it is ready to function as the root of the tooth.
- During the bonding interval, a temporary tooth replacement may be advised by your dentist (mostly in the visible areas of the mouth).
- After successful integration, an extension is attached to the implant called an abutment.
- The healing time allows the consolidation of the foundation on which the new teeth will be placed.
- After the procedure, a healing interval is needed for better functionality.
- Today, one-stage implants are available that do not require a second step.
- One stage implants come with an extension unit.
- A crown will be attached to the metal portion to offer a finished look.
- After a short while, you will get back to your confident natural smile and your ability to chew and speak will get back to normal
- A little pain or swelling may ensue after the implant procedure. This can be managed by taking the prescribed pain medications and antibiotics and following necessary precautions.
- Precautions include eating soft foods for a few days after the surgery
- Patients are also advised not to disturb the area with their fingers or tongue.
- Every patient is different and your Implantologist will help you make the best decision depending upon your bone structure, condition of your gums, etc.
- The “artificial tooth root” thus created acts as an anchor that holds a replacement tooth or bridge.
- After it fuses with the natural bone tissue through a process called “osseointegration”, the implant functions just like a normal tooth would.
- Implant remains stable over time and has innumerous advantages over the traditional dentures.
4. What is the Significance of Single Dental Implants?
- Unlike dentures, a single dental implant fuses with the jawbone and does not slip or make unpleasant noise-causing bone damage.
- It enables you to speak clearly as it functions like a normal tooth in the speech mechanism and function.
- Implants need to be brushed and cleaned like natural teeth, however, they are resistant to decay and so you need not worry about getting a cavity in your implanted tooth
- Single implants are maintenance friendly and just require routine hygiene visits like the natural teeth
- Single dental implants provide a long term solution to tooth loss
- They preserve the integrity of facial features as the jaw structure is maintained
- The titanium used in a single tooth implant blends well with the natural jaw bone tissue and there is no fear of rejection.
- When a tooth is lost, the teeth on either side of the lost tooth shift from their original position, causing misalignment. Dental implants fill the gap and prevent such misalignment from happening
- A single dental implant tends to stay as it is for quite a long time
- Since the implant is integrated with the jaw bone, there is no fear of slipping
- Other tooth replacements are placed on top of the gums and do not tend to proper biting pressure. A dental implant is anchored into the jaw and provides enough force to bite and chew just like a natural tooth.
Are dental implants worth the cost- Yes. They improve the quality of life of the patient which is the greatest advantage.
5. Cost of single dental implants in Delhi
A Single Dental Implant in Delhi costs about Rs 18,000 to Rs 25,000. However, prior consultation is necessary and the cost depends on factors such as
- Quality of material used
- The time, skill, and expertise needed for the individual patient
- The complexity of the procedure
At Topnotch Dental Clinic, we look forward to making your visit pleasant and comfortable. Our highly skilled team of dentists will ensure the right diagnosis and the best choice for you. A consultation with us will leave you with a content smile as your dental health is our utmost priority.
We have an extensive range of treatments to meet all your needs. Top Notch Dental Clinic has the righteous cost of dental implants in Delhi. Visit us to experience impeccable dental care in a relaxing atmosphere.