Dental problems like tooth loss can be physically and mentally disturbing. It not only hinders your chewing and speaking abilities, but also affects your smile, facial structure, and hence, your self-esteem. There are several solutions to make up for the loss of single or multiple teeth like dentures, bridges, and implants.
Dental implants are the best way to replace missing teeth while giving a more durable and natural-looking result. Many people avoid undergoing such procedures due to fear and being unfamiliar with the whole process. But it is a very simple and reliable procedure. We have assembled all the facts that you need to know about multiple dental implants, the procedure, cost, and whether or not you are an ideal candidate for the process.
Table of Contents
- What are multiple dental implants?
- Multiple tooth implant treatment procedure
- How much do multiple dental implants cost?
What are Multiple Dental Implants?
Multiple dental implants are a standard procedure in dentistry to help people deal with multiple missing teeth. In this process, dental implants and artificial teeth are used to replace missing tooth without harming the nearby teeth and giving the most natural results. A dental implant consists of three parts
- Implants: These are cylindrical screws made up of physiologically inert metal titanium and its alloys and are attached to the jawbone ataq the site of the missing teeth.
- Abutments: These are placed on top of the implants and connect the artificial teeth to the implants.
- Prosthetic teeth: These are artificial teeth usually designed in dental laboratories to adjust well in your mouth.
There are several methods in dentistry that help in dealing with multiple tooth loss. Then why Should one gets dental implants? Several factors make this method preferable over all other options. Some of them are:
- These implants look and feel like natural teeth.
- These are more permanent. There is no fear of the teeth slipping, moving, or falling out while speaking or eating.
- The process does not put extra forces on the nearby teeth in any manner.
- Dental implants help to prevent the deterioration of the jawbone. Chewing or speaking puts productive pressure on the implants that stimulate the jawbone. This keeps the bones active and prevents the calcium of the bone from being lost.
- The process preserves your natural smile and facial features.
Multiple Tooth Implant Treatment Procedure
The multiple dental implants procedure is a very simple process. However, it may take 3 days to 3 months to complete the whole treatment so it requires a bit of patience and few precautions. But the result is always worth it.
At first, the dentist would physically examine your mouth and ask a few questions pertaining to your habits, hygiene and medical history. They may perform an x-ray of the mouth for better diagnosis. The next few visits involve the implant installation and loading process.
Steps Involved in the Installation of Multiple Dental Implants
Step 1: Attaching the implants to the jawbone
The dentist would use a scalpel to cast off the gum flaps at the site to reveal the jawbone underneath. Or, they could make a small punch when the bone levels are good. Then, the implants are placed into the jawbone and the gum flaps,if opened, are sutured back in place. These sutures are removed within 7 to 10 days. The implant is then covered with temporary teeth or a sealing cap to isolate this area from the remaining oral region and to prevent any infection.
This arrangement is then allowed to heal for 3 to 4 months. During this period, the implant and the jawbone bond together to form a strong base for the artificial teeth.
Step 2: Placing the abutments
Once your implants have integrated with the jawbone, your dentist would go ahead with placing the abutments. This is a bridge-like structure that acts as the connecting link between the implants and the artificial teeth. Your gums may sometimes be left to take a good shape around the abutments for 2-3 weeks.
Step 3: Attaching the artificial teeth
The artificial teeth are then attached in a bridge-like arrangement to the abutment. The doctor would advise you to take some precautions over the next few weeks.
Who is the Ideal Candidate for Multiple Dental Implants
While multiple dental implants procedure is a highly efficient technique, there are some factors that you would need to tick off to get dental implants. Some of the factors are:
- The gum tissues and the remaining teeth need to be in good health.
- The person should have a good jaw-bone density. It is a necessary factor required for the implants to be fixed properly.
- The person should not smoke, consume tobacco or alcohol. It increases the chances of an infection which may lead to implant failure.
- The person should have the patience to take the necessary precautions for several months.
There are several conditions when dentists advise patients against getting implants. Some of them are:
- Diseases like uncontrolled diabetes and COPD that slow down healing
- People with poor oral hygiene, or aggressive gum or bone diseases.
- People who take medications that include steroids or blood thinners and doses cannot be modified.
- People that are taking radiation therapy, especially in the neck or head region.
How Much do Multiple Dental Implants Cost
The multiple dental implants cost usually ranges between 16,500-50,000 INR. However, the exact price depends on the clinic, the dentist, and other factors like:
- Whether the treatment is straightforward or includes other procedures like grafting and tooth extraction.
- The number of dental implants which need to be placed.
At Top Notch Dental Clinic, we believe that oral health is just as important as one’s overall physical health. And visiting a dentist should not be a stressful or scary experience. Having the best dentists in South Delhi, we strive to provide our patients with the most comfortable and efficient treatment with the help of the latest hi-tech equipment. This is the reason for our long list of happy customers who revisit without worries whenever needed.
1. Are multiple dental implants suitable for everyone?
Multiple dental implants should ideally be performed in people above 18 years of age. It is because, at a young age, the jawbone and gums are not fully developed. And attaching an implant could alter the development.
2. How many dental implants can you have at once?
You can get upto 6 to 8 implants at once. Usually, when several adjacent teeth are missing, a lesser number of implants are attached on both ends and the artificial teeth structure is placed on it. So even if you need to replace a full set of teeth, you would often, not need more than 8 implants.
3. How long after tooth extraction can I get a dental implant?
It is advised to wait for 3-6 months after tooth extraction to get an implant. This gives the gum tissues some time to heal from the extraction so that an implant could be attached properly decreasing the risks of any infection or other complications.